You don't have to stage an incredible Greek play with costumes, sets and script done by the 4th graders to deserve a homemade dinner. Really, I'd be hard pressed to find any teacher who wouldn't love-- and totally deserve-- a night off this time of year.
Wondering what to whip up? I recently shared a few of my favorite make-ahead meals that you could pass along to a hard-working teacher these last couple weeks of school. Here's what I gifted last night, for those of you who want a bang-up idea:
- A batch of my (amazing) chicken enchiladas (you could also make them veg, beef, etc). I delivered them frozen at the end of the school day, and told them they just needed to be heated at 350, lid off, for about 45 minutes.
- Because they were likely going to be salivating during those 45 minutes while their kitchen is filled with the aroma of homemade enchiladas, I also sent in:
- tortilla chips
- guacamole (actually it was "kaleamole" that I found in the produce section of our local Whole Foods)
- mango salsa (again, from the produce section at our local Whole Foods)
- and a jar of one of my favorite salsas
- If you wanted to make a dip, I'd make this one.
- I purchased a Mexican-themed salad with avocado dressing (from Whole Foods' prepared food section) but if you wanted to make one I'd recommend this one or this one.
- I was squeezing cooking in in between a few errands, a tennis clinic and a meeting at school, so the second side was super easy and quick, but hearty and healthy enough that it could actually be a complete veg meal. It was kind of a Mexican-inspired variation on this rice/grain recipe and included: Seeds of Change Spanish Style Rice + roasted and then chopped organic zucchini and bell peppers + black beans + pinto beans + zest of a lime.**
- Oh, and for dessert, I purchased Mexican Wedding Cookies (again, Whole Foods)
** Note that I totally thought I was Supermom, until I opened up the fridge in the evening (for a glass of wine, while my family's batch of enchiladas was cooking away) and realized the rice/quinoa/veg side was still in the fridge. I'd put it in to cool before running everything up to school yesterday afternoon, and completely forgotten it. Arch! So, I am really hoping my son's teachers have leftovers today and the it'll be the gift that keeps on giving with a second meal.... don't take my cape away yet.
P.S. Don't forget to vote for the full plate blog! Voting continues through June 4th. You may vote once every 24 hours, and there is no registration required to vote-- super easy! I so appreciate your votes!!